Thursday, October 28, 2010

JUST DO IT!

I really didn't think you would appreciate looking at pictures of leftovers which is all I ended up eating today, so I thought I would talk about the other 2nd most important part of my journey being ACTIVE! When I first joined WW I had already lost almost 30 pounds on my own, but I did it the wrong way I just stopped eating! Huge mistake by the way.



When I attended my first meeting it happened to be on a week where they were starting a new walking challenge amongst the group. Well I almost walked out the door right then and there. For me I had become so inactive that the mere thoughts of doing anything physical really put me off. This had not always been a problem of mine, I used to play softball for years while growing up, I also swam whenever I could get into a pool, and I loved to be outside just doing anything I could. Well after gaining the weight I was so embarrassed to be caught in shorts and sweating that I just hid inside all the time, and after a while being active for me consisted of walking from my room to the kitchen :(

I am glad to this day that I signed up with my grandmother, because it was she who helped me get comfortable amongst the group and I ended up staying until the meeting was over. For the first 2 months of my WLJ I just stuck with counting my points and losing weight that way, but after my first 30 pounds of weight came off I knew it was time that I needed to become active I was going to end up like this, and I don't think guys want to date something who ends up looking this way |
                                                                                                 v


When I had finally made the decision to become more active I went full out just the way I do most things once I have made up my mind. I ordered Charlene Johnson's Turbo Jam workout dvd's. I bought the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, The Biggest Loser dvd, and I received a Shaker Weight from my best friend for my Birthday! I started off with the Turbo Jam dvd's but soon realized that I was still a little too out of shape to start with them, and switched over to the Biggest Loser workouts. After a couple of weeks I could finally make my way though it without wanted to keel over and die from exhaustion, but that feeling of accomplishment really pushed me to do more.

After upgrading my self from the Biggest Loser dvd, I decided it was time to hit the pavement and in a real way this time no walk around the block and back into hide my head. I bought myself my first pair of running shoes, and a Heart Rate Monitor so I would know exactly the kind of calorie burn I was doing each day. The walking started out slow at first I would walk about a mile a day then head back home. After a while though 1 mile wasn't enough so I added an extra one in the mix and found I really loved being outside again!

Right now I try to get in about 3 miles a day, as I am training to do a 5k race, but so far I have only been walking and jogging. I have a bad knee which prevents me from running long distances, but I hope to be able to work up to it one day. For now I am just content to get my lazy ass of the couch and into the real world again. I never knew how many interesting things you can see when you get out and walk each day there really is a whole different world out there. While being scared to be active at first held me back I can now say I look forward to my Turbo Jam workouts, and my daily walks I don't think I would be where I am right now if I hadn't gotten out of my funk and JUST DID IT!                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment